Fire is one of the most significant risks any restaurant faces. They are a real possibility too. The destruction caused by a fire can put a restaurant out of business for months. It could be the final nail in the coffin of a struggling eatery.
While it is important to have insurance that provides for fire damage, prevention is always better than trying to deal with the aftermath of a blaze. There is no way to make sure that a restaurant is 100% fireproof. However, there are measures that owners can put in place to minimize the risk.
- Smoke detectors
The fitting of smoke detectors in a restaurant is mandatory. Smoke detectors are an early warning sign that there is a fire. They allow for quick action and help to prevent the loss of life.
Smoke detectors should cover the entire area of the restaurant. This includes the kitchen, bathrooms, and the eating area. Smoke detectors should be tested on a regular basis to make sure they are working.
- Fire alarm systems
The loss of life is the worst possible outcome of a restaurant fire, especially when it could be avoided. It can add to the financial woes of a restaurant owner after a fire. The family of the deceased may decide to sue for damages.
The best way to make sure that there is no risk for injury or death is to have a working fire alarm system. It allows for staff to get themselves and patrons away from danger.
Testing the fire alarm regularly to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it is recommended. When a fire alarm system is not operational, the law mandates that a fire watch is implemented. Companies like First Fire Watch Guards offer such services.
- Water-based fire protection systems
A water-based fire protection system switches on sprinklers fitted onto the ceiling when it is activated. It is one of the best ways to protect a restaurant from a fire. The system begins to address the fire without the need for human intervention.
Professionals who install sprinkler systems also perform maintenance on them. This includes inspecting them to make sure everything is in working order.
- Fire extinguishers
The most likely place a restaurant fire will start is in the kitchen. There are many electrical appliances and flammable substances like oil in the kitchen. The front of the restaurant is not safe from fires either. A candle knocked over can result in a devastating fire. These fires can get out of control quite quickly. Scrambling around for a fire extinguisher wastes valuable time.
Fire extinguishers should be placed in accessible places throughout the building. They should be inspected for functionality on a regular basis. All staff members must be trained in the use of a fire extinguisher so that they can act quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Electrical inspections
A lot of fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Once the wires short circuit, it can cause a smoldering fire that engulfs a building quickly. The problem with faulty wiring is that it is hidden in the walls.
The fact that something is wrong with it only becomes apparent when it’s too late. Any scorch marks around electrical outlets are indicators of a wiring problem. So is a burning smell at the outlet.
Restaurant staff should know the signs of wiring problems and report them to management immediately. The premises should be inspected by an electrician regularly to identify potential risks before they cause a fire. Older buildings are more susceptible to electrical wiring faults and warrant careful scrutiny.